Saturday, March 31, 2012

a depressing hike? {and a review}

I got up bright and early today (but it wasn't really bright out at 5:30am!) to go for a hike two hours away. I was so excited to finally be heading back to the mountains after months of not seeing any around. I live near the ocean now...so sad. 
When I could make out the shapes of their beautiful ridges I found myself in tears...I'm not sure what this was really about though. Was it because I really had missed the mountains so much that I cried when I saw them or was I missing something else? I missed my old town, my old house, my old community. I missed living beneath "my" mountains. I missed hiking. Hiking with Ben. 

This whole week I have been missing Ben more than ever..I probably have cried every night wishing he was with me. And going for a hike today alone (Marlin did come), just made everything worse. Ben and I hike together..it's our thing. I love hiking with him and not having him beside me today...well, it just wasn't the same. 

It felt wrong somehow. Like I wasn't supposed to be there. Here I am, out hiking and getting to do fun things while he's in school in a gross city, doing homework. It's not right. 

Even with all these thoughts going on in my head, I still managed to stay positive and take in the beautiful views...
Driving in...look at that mountain! Beautiful. 
 3.6 miles to the top...1.5 hours. Done. 
Beautiful clouds. Chilly though. 
 Marlin was having a blast...
 Trying to be happy. 
 Marlin beat me to the top. 
 Lovely. 
Snow covered tree. 
I did feel stronger than I have ever felt hiking today. I knew it was from all of my hard work with eating and working out. My legs rocked today! They got me all the way up to the top and I was high on sweat but loving it :) 
It was beautiful that's for sure. When I got to the top I was starving, so I whipped out my brand new Jerky that the kind folks over at Perky Jerky sent me! 
 Okay, so I was so happy to have this because it was...SO GOOD! It was sweet and salty in just the right combination. 
Even Marlin was begging for some! He said he liked it!! 
From their website:


"Perky Jerky is the new high-protein, ultra-premium, functional food for active lifestyles taking the nation by storm. We start with premium all natural beef (no MSG, no nitrates), and add our 7 ingredient marinade, which includes Guarana, a little berry from the Amazon that is commonly found in energy drinks.
It’s low fat, low carb, low cal and loaded with protein. No preservatives, no sodium nitrates, and no added MSG."
I had the Turkey Perky Jerky (don't you just love that name?!)...9 grams of protein...wowzers! Wondering what their secret is? 
INGREDIENTS: Turkey Breast, Soy Sauce, (water, wheat, soybeans, salt) Brown Sugar, Lemon Juice, Garlic Powder, Pepper, Guarana, Organic Worcestershire Sauce, (organic rice vinegar, organic wheat-free tamari soy sauce (water, organic soybeans, salt), organic evaporated cane syrup, salt, organic spices).
This stuff was a bag full of WONDERFUL! I would highly recommend this awesome jerky! It's on my "must-buy-more" list for sure :)
You can buy some here to try for yourself if you would like. Do it. 
{All comments and opinions are my own...I am not being paid in any way to say what I say}
I am headed off to work for now...have a good rest of your Saturday :)

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry that your hike wasnt as great as you thought it would be. I'm wish you and Ben were together, too! But you missing him so much shows how much you love eachother! Stay strong! <3

    Those are such pretty pictures! Congrats for making it to the top and feeling stronger than ever, thats great! :)

    The stats and ingredients on that jerky is awesome! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Yeah, I guess it's true when they say "distance makes the heart grow fonder"...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete