Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Kraving" a Challenge

I mentioned a while ago in one of my posts (I'm too lazy to link back to it) about how I signed up to participate in the RAID challenge course in September. If you don't know what this consists of, it's basically one of those really popular races in which you run and then jump and climb over a bunch of obstacles until you reach the finish. 


Anyhoo, I was planning on training for it, but I really hate running and kept putting everything off, I mean I did my regular weights routine with some sprinting here and there but no formal "race training" per say. I didn't even know how to do a broad jump burpee until I got to that part of the race haha. I'm so great. 

So the race was down on a beach in southern Maine, which made everything a bit more difficult. Granted most of the sand was wet but in spots the sand was so deep that it was a challenge just to run straight. It lasted for about three miles, so not too long, but considering I never run more than like half a mile at one time, it was a long ways. 


Ben and I drove down Friday night and stayed at his mom's. Saturday morning we got up at 5:45am in order to make it there to pick up my pre-race packet at 7:30am. I didn't warm-up too much and then all of a sudden my age group was called to the start. I went off with 16-29 year olds females, but I only really competed with the 16-19 year olds. 

The obstacles consisted of lobster trap hurdles, balance beam, cargo net climb, cobblestone hill climb, sand bag carry, marine hurdles, broad jump burpees, bear crawls, walking lunges, cargo net crawl and the finish wall. 

I was pretty much dead after the sand bag carry and thought I was going to throw up the whole time when I was running, but someone I placed first in my age group! Woot, go me. I won a pretty cool medal and a t-shirt. Awesome right? I know. 


I didn't even take one photo because I forgot my ipod. Major fail. Oh well. I'm hoping the event people will put some on facebook sometime soon...maybe they got a good one of me or something. Ben was so sweet, he ran right beside me up on the side walk almost the whole way, cheering me on. Isn't he cute? Awww. 

******************************

Anyhoo, I bet you're wondering why my title is spelled wrong. Oh you didn't notice? Well, now you do. And yes it was on purpose. See, I got a package from Krave Jerky the day before the race so right in time for some good race fuel! 


It's no secret that I love, love, love any kind of jerky. I've tried beef, turkey, ostrich, and even salmon and all have been amazing! So when I got some from a new company that I have been dying to try, I freaked out and dug right into the first pack. 


Then the second. 


And then the third. 


Of course these were all on separate days. I didn't actually go from one bag to the other in one day, but I easily could have. This was the BEST jerky I have ever had! I loved every single bite. 

Each flavor was different and outstandingly good. 

I have two bags left, smoky grilled teriyaki and basil citrus, but I know they won't last too long..it's a good thing I have an awesome health food store that carries this amazing stuff because I will definitely be buying more!

Have you ever tried Krave Jerky? Did you like it?!

1 comment:

  1. isn't krave jerky the best? I seriously am addicted but wish my wallet would let me buy more!

    ReplyDelete