Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I'm Not The Kind Of Girl Who...

I'm Not The Kind Of Girl Who...



...Covers her face in massive amounts of makeup in order to "look nice". What ever happened to natural beauty?

...Dresses up or tries to (and yes, I consider jeans to be "dress up").

...Enjoys chatty talk, gossip, screaming at bugs, etc. We're better than that girls, come on. 

...Listens to "in" music just because I want to fit in (country will do just fine no matter who's around).

...Paints my nails. Ever. 

...Ties her hair back. I am just fine with always wearing my hair down and straight. 

...Knows how to dress. I suck at figuring out what goes well together. 

Okay so you get it. I'm not a girly-girl and I never have been. I grew up with two older brothers and copying them was what I did, clothes and everything. I enjoyed being the only girl on the mountain biking team in high school, and the only girl on the snowboarding team who could actually go off jumps, and most of the time, the only girl at the gym lifting anything over ten pounds. 

I've been having a lot of realizations lately about myself and who I am, ever since Ben started commenting on what I wear. I was looking for something to wear to my job interview and somehow we got on the topic of how he doesn't like any of my clothes or anything that I wear. Total burn right? Kinda, except for the fact that I pretty much agree. I mean what can I do? I like being comfortable and if that means gym shorts and big t-shirts than so be it. 

I try to "dress nice" but sometimes I forget what "nice" actually entails. Jeans and a regular t-shirt is considered "dressed up" to me. And a dress? Well those are only for weddings or really formal events. I wear a necklace or put in some earrings and I feel overdressed. It's just not me. 

And I have come to accept this. I'm not like a lot of other girls who enjoy wearing summer dresses and cute shorts. I'm me and I like being boy-ish, so shoot me. It's taken me a little while to fully accept who I am in this respect, but it feels good to be able to do so, because for so long I tried like no other just to conform to what I thought I "should" be, a girly girl of sorts. I longed to be able to dress like the other girls I saw and wanted to act like someone I clearly wasn't. Then I learned that it's really draining trying to be someone else all the time. I can only be me, and I think I'm pretty darn good at it. 

I'm The Kind of Girl Who...


...Works out at the gym with a bunch of guys. 

...Is more comfortable in workout clothes than dresses or skirts. 

...Likes to compete with the guys. 

...Enjoys being the only girl in a sport that is considered "for men only"

...Prefers natural beauty over "fake" tans and faces. 

P.S. This by no means, means that I don't occasionally like to wear earrings or put on a dress for a night or show off my diamond ring. I am still a women after all and there will always be days where I will truly embrace this fact!

Have you ever felt like you don't fit into the "girly" mold or enjoy things that most girls love?

1 comment:

  1. You are you,and you're perfect this way. Who needs makeup? It only covers your beauty,not your "flaws". Stick to yourself,you're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete