Thursday, July 7, 2011

Had a really good day today (for the most part). I recently found a very amazing blog all about...dundundun...FOOD. I love it. It's not just any other website about food and recipes, this one gets into how each food is helping your body, what nutrients it has in it and most of the recipes are raw or vegan. It's written so wonderfully that when I stumbled across it, I spent all day reading it. I just couldn't stop. So yesterday and today I have been reading up and learning about new foods and recipes to try. I went to the store and stocked up on some things and today I used what I got to make a few things! Let's start with last nights dinner: I made mashed quinoa with kale, salsa, mustard and chia seeds and for desert my mom and I made chocolate avocado pudding (made with raw cacao powder). Today's breakfast consisted of a rye pancake crisp or better known as a socca with peach slices, chopped nuts, chia seeds, and a little bit of agave nectar. For a snack I cooked up a sweet potato and just added some salt and cinnamon. I spent the rest of the afternoon busy in the kitchen making a bunch of things to bring on my road trip next week including: black bean lentil burgers, sweet potato falafel burgers, kale ricotta cheese dip, banana sorbet, and date nut energy bars.

I found this kind of eating/cooking is so beneficial for me, for one, because it gets me to cook my meals instead of just snacking throughout the day and two, it helps me to really know all the good things I'm feeding my body and nourishing myself with, which is huge, in my opinion. I would so much rather think of food as medicine than just food. I love knowing that just by having an avocado I am reducing my risk of heart disease, lowering cholesterol, reducing my risk of colon cancer and breast cancer, protecting my eyes against macular degeneration and cataracts, getting vitamin K, calcium for strong bones, and vitamin C to boost my immune system!! Oh! and they also have essential omega 3 fatty acids which help reduce cholesterol, lower the risk of heart attack and stroke, boost the immune system, control viral infections, improve brain function, and relieve symptoms of inflammatory condition such as arthritis! Isn't that just amazing! It makes me want to eat all those good and healthy foods knowing what I'm giving my body!! 


I feel like I have a total new view on food and eating now! I feel so excited to make things and actually eat them! I have a new appreciation for food because of what I'm learning. 


Wow. Okay, so now back to why my day was amazing "for the most part". I felt like I was so supper happy all day until dinner time. I got a call from my mom about college and what we are now going to owe for this year. I couldn't believe it. Why the heck, does college need to be so freakin expensive? Any who, now I will be paying off college for the rest of my life! How amazing is that? I know it'll all work out some how or another though. I hope... 

No comments:

Post a Comment